Rudder Install

Earlier in the build I “copied” the original supplied “plywood” rudder and used mahogany instead.
First now I noticed that the hinges provided with the kit seems to be slightly too big for the cutouts
of the rudder (Yellow circle).
Also the hinges do not have the correct shape (orange circle) according to the provided plans..


























So first thing I did was reshaping the hinges so they became a better fit.


























A bit of a mystery: the plans only reveal to use 1.5mm brass wire to join the hinges (perhaps glue them together?) anyway I decided to use and solder brass nails to half the hinges .


























After cutting the nails in length I made the cutouts in the ruder slightly bigger so they now easily could contain 1 complete hinge.


























I did the following to the rudder to enhance some details:
- “angled” the rudder so it will work after installing
- cut some parallel lines in the ruder to simulate individual planks
- cut all the hinges in length so they were following the rudder shape
- blackened all the hinges.


























And installed it..


No comments:

Post a Comment