Rails & Installation

The next step,
”Rails” this was going to be a bit more tricky.

These are not straight and the gratings and frames are determining the arc, so again I decided to test my skills on the jigsaw..
But this time I used my latest investment.
TaaDaa! this is it.


























I decided to copy the rails provided and use these as the basic shape with the intensions to “fine tune” them to the final arc and length needed.
I also thought a bit about the wood grain direction..

My first thought was “vertical” as the rails on the model bend mostly in this direction so I didn’t had to shape them into their position.

But on the other hand I knew that choosing this direction the wood also would/could easily snap
..I decided for “vertical” anyway and see how it goes..

Even dough the new tool does its job very well it is still not as easy as I thought it would be..
So a lot of sanding helped to get the "straight line" end result.


























The instructions/drawings doesn’t really show where the starting positions of the rails are located: I
decided to use the most upper strake as the start position for the top rail, the second rail just besides the first gun frame and the davit bracket and the 3th rail “as best as possible”.

To avoid too much stress on the top rail I shaped the Samson post with an angle.


























I must admit that some of the rails have snapped (some even several times) during installation..
Eventually I managed to have all rails in place and I covered all the break lines with glue and sawdust..
Enjoy ....

santisima trinidad bow view




























No comments:

Post a Comment