Upper Planking

I finished the upper planking on one side of the ship, i will (re) aligning the gun ports and make them a bit smaller before the final cutout.


I decided after plank no 7 to insert a full stealer on bow and stern to compensate for the upwards curves of the planks and to create a nice fit to the front deck at the bow.


And here's the result after sanding, it is wise to sand the areas where there will  be no more additional planking later on to prevent sanding/rounding the edges of the laid planks.



Not perfect yet , but I will do some additional adjustments/sanding at a later stage..


The instructions wants you to use the nails included in the kit, and on other building logs I see that people use pins or simular to hold the planks into position during drying and gluing. "No matter what" I still think that these tools leave holes/marks in the wood which might be difficult to remove at a later stage, so I decided to use only clamps and scrap wood (as least as much as possible) to hold the planks into the correct position. 



No comments:

Post a Comment