More Scrolls

Sorry for the following (long) text but my findings in this case are not so easy to explain in a few words
The First problem for creating some Scrolls was “consistency”
From my earlier carvings (2 curls for the stem) I found out that it was not so easy to produce equal results.
So I knew that drawing the motive by hand was not really an option.

Cracking problem 1:
I decided to use a socalled “CAD program” and “designed” the curl I needed ("not to complex" as I know my carving skills ).
So after printing the result (on a laser printer) I had to transfer the motive “somehow” to wood.
I tried soaking the paper in all kind of chemicals and hoped that it “magically” would/could transfer the motive to wood.

.. without luck..

..Maybe the results are different/better when using an inkjet printer..
An laser printer uses “heat” and burns “powder” very secure to the paper.
So again “after a bit of brainstorming” I used an iron and hoped that by reheating the paper it would “transfer” the motive, but again .. without luck..
To keep the scenario short and share my findings:

I ended up in printing the curls on a “transparent” foil (used for overhead projectors) and when reheating the foil (using an iron) it will actually “release” the powder particles to wood !!

 













"Cracked" problem 1 ..i believe..
So...Next challenge was the carving itself, I think it is easier to show the progress with a few pictures
Using a fretsaw to cutout roughly the contours.

































And the result after using a sharp scalpel (blade 10)



“Polishing” the result with a thin strip of sandpaper (1500)


























“More or less” 4 equal results..





 And installed/waxed them on starboard .


No comments:

Post a Comment