Preparing parts for Gun Carriages

I started to prepare the individual parts for the gun carriages.
I made some minor modifications, but in general they are a copy of the prototype I made earlier.

I created all the sides (and fronts) for all 28 carriages.
The next thing was drilling 3 holes in each for the eyebolts and support.


























I also had to adjust the height of the carriages as the prototype was a bit too high, I decided for adjusting the cutouts for the wheel shafts as the best
solution (without starting all over again..)


























As for the Wheel shafts I adjusted the "production line" as i found the technique I previously used was to complex, time consuming and not
accurate enough.
I now have created each shaft from 3 individual made parts ..
the
square part of the shaft i cut in length on the FET table saw and I drilled holes on both sides
I
made a round stick in the correct diameter by using a homemade drawplate and cut them in small sections
all
parts where glued together
Underneath the visual explanation:



























Manufacturing Jig for the gun barrel brackets.






































As for creating the wheels:
Instead of using a lathe, I used the Proxxon FET table saw to cut Ø4mm and Ø5 mm sticks into 1,5 mm thick round slices..
Note: I found out that the iron band around the wheels on my prototype is not very common (as they will destroy the wooden decks ..)
Including the Eyebolts and the "tiny bamboo sticks" (to fix the wheels onto the shafts) each gun carriage contains now 30 individual parts..

 

Used assembly jig for the carriage


























Underneath some pictures of the very first gun carriage from my production line (with & without gun barrel) on deck of the ST



























Finally an picture with a ruler (just for size comparison.)


No comments:

Post a Comment